I am so fortunate to have become good friends with the other two room moms from Baylor’s class. They are incredibly funny, smart and freakishly talented multi taskers. And they like wine so we were a match made in heaven.
We sipped and snacked on Monday night at Postinos. I’m embarrassed to say that it was my first time there (look, I like to ride my bike and I live where I can do that to like 15 great restaurants, why go where I have to drive?!). We all ordered a cup of the Pasta Fagioli with sausage and it was awesome. I googled around and found a great recipe. It’s soup, but very hearty and great for a meal.
My variations are that I used fresh herbs because I had them, hot Italian sausage (Safeway meat counter), kidney instead of cannaleni beans and I added 3 tablespoons of butter to the final mix, just to give it a little more flavor. I loved this recipe because it was a chop-and-dump-into-pot variety which is my favorite. Be sure to add the Parmigiano on top, it really pulls it all together.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 carrots, peeled & chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage links or 1 lb hot Italian sausage, casing removed and crumbled ( can use turkey sausage)
- 2 teaspoons dry oregano
- 1 tablespoon dry basil
- 1 -2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups canned chopped tomatoes with juice
- 3 -4 cups vegetable stock or 3 -4 cups chicken stock
- 1 can progresso cannellini beans
- 1 cup ditalini or 1 cup small shell pasta
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large heavy pot over medium high heat.
- Cook onion in oil 2 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, celery and carrots and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add and brown crumbled sausage.
- Add basil, oregano and red pepper.
- Toss to coat.
- Stir in tomatoes and stock.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- If necessary, add an additional cup of stock or water and stir in beans and tiny pasta.
- Simmer for 6- 8 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Stir in parsley and serve hot with grated Parmesan cheese.