Lent is a good time for a lot of things – praying more and figuring out how not to eat meat on Fridays are two of the big ones for me. I don’t know why, but tell me there’s no meat, and that’s literally all I can think about eating.
With little planning last Friday night, I found a sorry amount of veggies left in the refrigerator, salmon (see! at least I was trying to not eat meat) and some pesto. I suddenly remembered a delicious grain bowl recipe I made last summer and started compiling what I had. It turned out delicious!
So for this Friday, give this guy a whirl to stay on track this Lenten season:
Fresh salmon: 1/2 – 1lb depending on if you want leftovers
Farro: 2 cups
Veggies: I like broccoli and cauliflower
Pesto: bottled or homemade
Salt, pepper, lemon juice, olive oil
- Heat oven to 375
- On a sheet, toss cauliflower with salt, pepper and olive oil (cauliflower takes longer to roast so put it in first). Roast for 25-30 minutes
- Drizzle olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper on salmon
- On the same sheet (or separate, your call) toss broccoli olive oil, salt and pepper
- Pop pan with salmon and broccoli in for roughly 15-20 minutes depending on how big your cut of salmon is.
- Cook Farro according to instructions
- When the veggies come out of the oven, grate parm over the top
- Layer in a bowl: farrow, veggies, salmon and pesto.
- Drizzle with balsamic to taste
- Eat and enjoy!
Ok, yes. I did get a little out of control with the parm. But it was delicious!